Epic fail on my part today, just couldn't get them going.
We baited just to the right of where we were sat with corn and Nash Monster Crab and Scopex Squid pellets, fishing over the top with a little amber strawberry pop up or 3 grains of corn. We also fished on a bagging waggler about 30 yards out a foot under the surface.
There were a lot of other anglers there, all fishing on the bottom. There were a few fish being caught early on but it soon slowed down and soon a lot of people were sat behind silent alarms.
It took a few casts to get the fish coming to the bagging waggler, but soon we were getting a bite nearly ever cast. Carp to low doubles were the mainstay, but a few lovely roach, rudd and even bream.
People say bream are bottom feeders, well, we were catching them 18" under the surface in 20 feet of water.
It took a while for the margin spot to kick off, but as the sun moved around and the margin started to warm up we could see the fish move in. Soon there were tails sticking up out of the shallow water as they grubbed about for the feed.
Carefully dropping in a rig past them and easing it back through causing the minimum of disruption, it didn't take long for the rod tip to pull round and the Siren alarm to start screaming.
There are a huge number of fish in Mill Barn, mainly carp around the 3-6lb mark. Fishing in the margins we seem to get a lot of the larger residents. Not big fish by any means, but a better stamp for the venue.
A steady stream of low to mid doubles graced the bank from the margins, while the bagging waggler kept pulling in fish of the 3-6lb mark.
We used Nash Fish Frenzy Talapia method mix on the waggler with scopex squid 6mm pellets bait banded underneath.
By comparison to how it normally fishes there it was a slow day, but we caught constantly and had some half decent fish. One of the youth workers mentioned that he hadn't seen many other people catching and was surprised by how many we caught. He didn't think to say I was doing a good job, just that everyone else must be rubbish....cheers Stuart...how to make friends and influence people lol
The student didn't want to hold the fish so Josh is showing the stamp of fish that were caught throughout the day. Stuart decided to have a go too and here he is with Josh with another caught from the margin.
We were using dead baits as they are normally very effective on this lake, not today they weren't!!!
We had 3 aborted takes and that was it, they picked up the bait then dropped it very quickly. When reeling in the baits had teeth marks on them, but the hooks had been outside the mouth.
After working hard for almost the entire session and a blank on the cards I changed to live baits for the last hour. It was like throwing a switch.
I tail hooked a small Roach on a free roving float rig and cast it out about 15 metres, within 30 seconds we had a screaming take, nearly taking the rod off the rest.
Not a big fish at 5lb, but it went like stink. Best fight I have seen from a pike in ages.
Rebaiting and recasting to a different area where we saw pike moving earlier and it was off within 2 seconds. Exactly the same, hit it hard and ran for the far side of the lake.
Another great fight from an almost identical fish.
I went over safe handling and how to unhook them properly then went for the photo, neither lad wanted to hold them!!! So I held one for a quick piccy before spending a couple of minutes recovering the fish and releasing him back safely.
I left the rod in and sorted out the rest of the gear, then sat down to have an hour before the student arrived. Another 17 fish to low doubles graced the net in that time, all on Nash Amber Strawberry 10mm freezer bait and either Fang X or Twister hooks.
By the time the student arrived it was starting to rain, and rain hard. The fishing slowed a bit with the arrival of the rain and strong winds blowing in, but still they kept coming.
When we packed up at 2, soaked by now, he had landed another 20+ fish.
0.5kg boilies & 1kg pellets and a manic day, all taken on the bottom tight to a feature.
We baited up an area up against the island with Nash Amber Strawberry 10mm boilies, sorted some pva sticks out and got the rods sorted. Casting a braid rig with a fang X and double bait into the baited area, it only took 2 minutes and it was off.
Several fish came to the net in the first hour, then as the pressure rose and the weather became more settled, the fishing switched off.
We worked really hard for the next couple of hours trying to work out how to get them on the go. Pop ups, meat, we tried most things, but all to no avail.
Could be worse, could be working :)